More information about Dr. Nilen Shah
Orthopedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Sugeon
Positions: Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Dr. Nilen Shah At "Bombay Hospital", Marine Lines
- Dr. Nilen Shah At "S. R. Mehta KikaBhai Hospital", Sion East
- Dr. Nilen Shah's Clinic, Kemps Corner
- Secondary 1975 - 1980 The New Era School, Bombay, India. I obtained a Distinction (82. 42%) at the final Secondary School Certificate Examination and was awarded the Government National scholarship.
- Undergraduate 1980 - 1982 The Jai Hind College, Bombay, India. I obtained a Distinction (85.33%) at the Higher Secondary Certificate Examination, and was awarded the Dr. Hiranandani Entrance Prize for having the best academic performance from amongst the students entering Topiwala National Medical College.
- Medical 1982 - 1986 The Topiwala National Medical College, Bombay, India. I distinguished myself (more than 75% marks) in the subjects of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.
- I passed all my medical examinations with Honours (more than 65% of marks) and at the first attempt.
- During my undergraduate medical career, I won the Second Prize in the Annual Competitive Examination in Leprosy, held in August, 1988. I also received the Bombay University Merit Scholarship to pursue the degree of Master of Surgery.
- Postgraduate 1987 - 1991 The Topiwala National Medical College, Bombay, India. I passed the Diploma in Orthopedics Examination held by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay, India, achieving 70% of marks and securing the second rank, in February 1990.
- I passed the Master of Surgery Examination conducted by the Bombay University, at the first attempt, standing first and securing THE GOLD MEDAL, This was in January 1991.
- From 1992 to 1997 I have trained in the U.K. obtaining specialized experience in Orthopaedic surgery. I have successfully completed the ODTS training programme organized by THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF ENGLAND in the North-East Thames region, in the subject of Orthopaedics working a year as a SHO and then two and a half years as an Orthopaedic Registrar.
- I also studied for the M. Ch. Orth degree of the University of Liverpool and I successfully appeared for that exam in November 1996.
- I am an Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Consultant attached to Bombay Hospital. This is a major private Hospital in the city of Mumbai with national and even international reputation. I provide quality Orthopaedic service in Joint Replacement Surgery and undertake primary as well as Revision operations. I have undertaken many challenging patients with arthritis and treated them successfully with Joint Replacements. One such patient even made the headlines of front-page Mid-Day. I now perform these operations in a minimally invasive manner with a very short incision. This allow the patients to recover much more quickly. I perform between 100 to 150 Joint Replacements a year with the numbers rising. I am the pioneer for bringing the minimally invasive subvastus technique to India. This is a wonderful technique that allows the patient to ne mobile from the first day after surgery. With the high flex joints that I use the patient is not only able to sit crosslegged but can even squat after surgery. The average Hospital stay is only 4 days. I also use computer navigation for these techniques.
- orthopedic Surgery
- Pioneer Minimally Invasive Subvastus
- Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- Government National Scholarship on the basis of S.S.C. (pre-college) performance.
- Dr. Hiranandani Entrance Prize for the highest marks amongst the new entrants at the Topiwala National Medical College, Bombay.Dr. Hiranandani Entrance Prize for the highest marks amongst the new entrants at the Topiwala National Medical College, Bombay.
- Distinctions in the subjects of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Forensic Medicine and Toxicology,during the undergraduate medical career.
- Second Prize in the annual Competitive Leprosy Examination held in August 1985.
- Bombay University Merit Scholarship for the degree of Master of Surgery.(Orthopaedics)
- For standing First at Master of Surgery at the University of Bombay, the Dr. Deepak L. Kothari Gold Medal and Dr. M.V. Sant Prize.
- Unicompartmental of Total Knee Replacement – the five year results of a prospective randomised trial of 102 osteoarthritic knees. Published in JBJS Vol. 80-B Sept 1998, Pages 862-865.
- 5 Yr results of a prospective randomised trial of patellar resurfacing during TKR. Published in JBJS Br 1998, 80-B-Suppl I-45.
- Lubinus patellofemoral arthroplasty – 2 to 8 year experience of 76 knees. Published in JBJS Br 1998, 80 B Suppl I -45
- Understanding Orthopaedics – Impingement syndrome Bombay Hospital Journal Vol. 41, No. 2 –1999 Page 313-314.
- Osteoporosis – Published in Bombay Hospital Journal Vol. 41 No. 3 1999 Pages 532-536
- Treatment of winging of the scapula by muscle transfer- Bombay Hospital Journal Vol 32 No. 4,1990.
- Interlock nailing for diaphyseal fractures of long bones. Read at Maharashtra State Orthopaedic Association Conference at Jalgaon, India - October 1991.
- External fixation of Intertrochanteric Fractures- read at the above mentioned conference.
- Spinal plating in Thoracolumbar Injuries - Our experience. Co-author of this paper which was read at the same conference.
- Percutaneous K wiring for Colles’ fractures. Co-author of this paper which was read at Western India Regional Orthopaedic Congerence in Jan. 1992, at Bombay, India.
- Management of the Rheumatoid hindfoot. Presented to the Orthopaedic Conference at Black Notley Hospital-1993, United Kingdom.